Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Submitting to God...

I had a really rough yet revealing weekend last weekend.  It all started late Friday night when I kind of snapped at Trevin.  He told me that ever since my surgery in November I just hadn't been the same person.  I kind of ignored this comment and denied that it was true at first.  Well after we had went to bed and Trevin had fallen asleep, I all of a sudden just began weeping.  Not crying but weeping.  I got up and went to Khade's room (he was spending the night with his Pops and Gammy) for some privacy.  Lets just say, I had it out with God.  I screamed at Him, asked Him why, and to please help me.  Friday night it finally occurred to me that I was not "fine" with everything that had happened in the past year.
Saturday, I felt some better.  I didn't reveal anything about what happened the night before to anyone.  I just don't talk about anything that happens to me personally very often, and I didn't want to talk about this.  I honestly thought no one would understand what I've been going through, so again, I bottled it all up inside of myself and held it in as I had been doing for the past four months.  Any time anyone asked me how I was doing or brought up the subject of me losing my job or my baby, I would simply say what any Christian would say..."I'm fine.  I know God has a plan in everything that has happened."  The truth of the matter is that I was merely saying this to myself not for anyone else's sake.  I honestly was trying to say what I thought everyone wanted to hear and act "perfect" and really convince myself that that statement was true.  Boy was I wrong.
Sunday morning at church, I felt very burdened.  My heart was extremely heavy sometimes to the point of feeling like I couldn't breathe.  Throughout the message, it was all I could do to sit still.  I didn't really know what was wrong with me, but I knew that I couldn't swallow or hold myself together much longer.  The invitation began, and I bowed my head and tried to convince God and myself that I was "fine" once again, and that I didn't need to get up and go pray at the altar.  Well, I was wrong...
As soon as the music started, I jolted, without thinking, out of my seat and ran to the altar.  The pastor came to pray with me and after a few minutes we stood up and he asked me if I was okay.  Again, I had a heavy heart.
God was really pushing on me to actually say something to the church.  I really, really didn't want to, but I couldn't hold anything in any longer.  I simply told my pastor that I wanted to say something.  So of course being the great pastor he is, he gave me that opportunity.  Now, I don't exactly remember what I said.  I think everything just sort of rushed out of me and I honestly don't think I was the one coming up with the words.  I truly feel that God gave me the words to say otherwise I wouldn't have ever said anything.  If you know me, you know I don't speak in public at all, so this was huge.  I know I must have shocked Trevin especially. 
The jist of what I said was more like a confession.  I summed up that I had lost a lot in the past year (no details) and was truly struggling with my faith in God because of it.  I apologized to the church for acting like a strong, faithful Christian and asked them to forgive me for faking it.  Then I turned to Trevin.  I get choked up as I type this even.  I looked him in the eye and thanked him for putting up with me these past few months because I know it must have been difficult, and I apologized to him for the way I had been acting.  Trevin is not a very emotional person, but I could see that I honestly touched him and he had tears in his eyes.  I think he knew how big of a step this was for me to start really healing and getting better.  Again I asked the church to pray for myself but also for my family and thanked them for being such a loving group of people.  The pastor prayed for me and my family right then.
Immediately I felt relief...I'm still struggling every day, but I honestly feel like this is the actual start of my healing process.  I have denied myself the truth for a long time and tried to convince myself that losing my job, baby, etc. didn't bother me or affect me.  I know I'm wrong in thinking that, and I hope to become a much stronger person and Christian due to all this.  I'm trying to rebuild my faith in God now, and I know one day I'll get there; it'll just take some time.  So again, I ask whoever might be reading this to pray...pray for me and my family.  I hope I can repay the favor some day for all those that do, and I hope that my story of finally speaking out and realizing my faults and admitting them may help someone else find the same relief in doing so for themselves.

1 comment:

  1. Sending up prayers for you. It isn't easy to admit it when you are defeated. And it isn't easy to ask for help. You are an amazing woman. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete